I think there are few things in the academic world that provide such pleasure as holding in ones hand a completed paper, still warm in your hands. The hours of typing, searching, researching, reading, more typing...all culminated in paper and ink formatted to perfection. It is, in a way, a form of art, though considerably less enjoyable than other forms of art, in my opinion.
After finishing this academic piece of art, I was walking though the chilled evening air back to my apartment. Having eating nothing but coffee and peanuts since 1140, and being short on several hours of sleep (understanding, of course, that this means a loss of a few hours every night for the past week, resulting in a considerable amount of sleep loss), I felt weak, almost faint. Though that is an exaggeration to be sure.
But now the paper is done, food has been eaten, and the jeans have been exchanged for pink pajama pants. Sleep is desired, and most of all necessary. But alas, Ope and Ruth decided to watch V for Vendetta. And I got sucked in.
Therefore, the cumulative loss of sleep continues.
Indeed, few things provide a greater sense of accomplishment than that perfect APA, double spaced stack of paper that one has slaved so tirelessly to produce, and have that warm feeling as one walks home and knows.. it is finished! ^_^
ReplyDelete