Skip to main content

You Live In That House: Reflections from Let There Be Life 2019

This past weekend I was thrilled to attend the second annual Let There Be Life conference at UC Berkeley, hosted by Pro-Life San Francisco. The event features a wide variety of speakers, including some of my favorite activists in the movement such as Destiny Herndon De La Rosa of New Wave Feminists, Terrisa Bukovinac of Pro Life San Francisco, Herb Geraghty of Rehumanize International, Elijah Thompson of Dank Pro Life Memes, Albany Rose Post Abortive Pro Life, etc etc etc. I also got to meet some new favorites this weekend. Plus I got to hang out with the ladies from the organization where I got my start in Pro Life work, so that was awesome. Networking--especially for an extrovert like me--is so rewarding in and of itself. I love meeting new people, finding that common ground, and making connections.

Not only did I get to network, but I was encouraged, enraged, challenged, and refreshed. The thing I kept hearing over and over again throughout the day was to get out of my comfort zone. Take a risk. Be willing to lose reputation, career, whatever it is, for the sake of these fellow humans being denied their most basic human rights. I'm still not sure what this looks like played out, but I do know I have been living in fear a lot recently. Afraid to step on toes. Afraid of needing to protect my license. My identity. And I'm realizing that while I don't need to be overly reckless, I need to stop living in fear. I need to step out and start making a difference.

Perhaps the most impactful part of the day was the film festival at the end. I almost didn't stay because I had such a long drive to get home, but I am SO glad I did. We saw two films: Crescendo, and Sing A Little Louder. Both brought me to tears. They aren't strictly pro life films, and I think everyone can enjoy them no matter what your opinion on the abortion debate.

After watching these films, the producer Jason Jones and one of the speakers from earlier, Bryan Kemper, were talking about how sad it is that not only are they still having to do this work, but that now their adult kids are having to take up the fight as well. Bryan made the comment that people will often ask him if he likes his job. He said, "Man, I hate my job! I cannot wait for the day my job doesn't need to exist anymore." And as I reflected on that, I thought about my job. All the little bodies I'd seen on the ultrasound screen. The hundreds of tiny heartbeats I'd watching flickering underneath my calipers. And the pictures I'd try not to look at when I knew they had become yet another victim of "choice." It was all I could do to hold back my sobs. The tears ran freely down my face as I thought of those people whose very existence was only know by me and a few others before it was snuffed out. And how much I hate that I have to be part of this. But how much I have no other choice.

But Bryan Kemper wasn't done making me feel all the things yet. Sing A Little Louder is set in Nazi Germany, and he was sharing about how he once toured Auschwitz. While there, among the gas showers and mass graves, he looked up and noticed a house in the distance, sitting up on a hill. And he said he thought to himself, "What would I have done, if I had lived in that house during that time?" And then the answer came to him.

 "You DO live in that house."

Wow. I will never forget that moment, as long as I live. His words went straight to my core. These days its not uncommon to hear people talk about ICE and immigration issues while using that line: "If you've ever wondered what you would do if you had lived in Nazi Germany when they came for your neighbors, now's the time to find out!" And I do think that is true as well. But woah, to realize once again, to be broken once again, with the weight of the injustice and inhumanity being carried out daily against the weakest and most vulnerable members of our society. I'm honestly considering getting a tattoo now of a house on a hill. Just a small one, almost geometric in design. We'll see. Because I never want to forget the profoundness of that statement. You Live In That House.

So, where am I going from here? No idea. I'm going to reach out to a few other organizations and see what they have going on that I might be able to jump in with. I'd really like to start blogging and writing more, especially now that I have a computer again (yay!). I'd like to take NAFN to the next level, whatever that is, and start confronting the lies of the "Fake Clinics" crowed, though again I'm not sure how. I kept thinking this weekend "I need to do more. I'm not doing enough!" and while I know that I'm actually doing quite a lot just by showing up at work every Monday, I have a burning desire inside to do more. Every day, people are being stripped of their humanity, their dignity, and finally their very lives. I. must. do. more.

Because I live in that house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Asia Nursing: Uncovered!!!

So, for those who care to read, here you will find a briefly detailed summay of my trip to South Asia with CBU's ISP nursing team. For security purposes, I will not be stating the names of countries or cities we were in, and the names of the workers in country have been changed. Enjoy! The trip started like all ISP trips: at the globe. After a time of prayer, we headed out for our 14 hour trans-pacific flight. We landed in Hong Kong only to discover that there were currently strikes going on in our country (we'll call it B.D., which stands for Beautiful Darkness because the land was so beautiful, but so full of spiritual darkness). So, we had to stay the night in Hong Kong. It was fun and we were excited we were able to get out of the airport, because originally we had a 13hr layover or something crazy like that. So, we saw a bit of the city, including the batman tower from the Hong Kong scene in The Dark Knight. Finally we flew out of the bustling hot sticky city, and made our...

Just some random thoughts floating in my head

I was looking at my friend's pictures today, and I realized that I wasn't there for a lot of them. This made me very sad. In a way, I feel like I missed out on a lot this summer. Apparently they had another tribal night. How did I miss that? And I was working when they did deep fried candy bars, though I did get to stop by for a few minutes. How did I manage to miss the shoe-tree? I think I forgot about it, so that's kind of my fault. But yeah, I feel like I missed out on a lot this summer. Leaves a rather unsatisfactory taste on the pallet. So, I really want to try to eat healthy and be more active and maybe shed a few pounds this semester. I usually do really good. Until I get some craving for ice cream or soda or some other sugar filled carbohydrate (yes, that's a bit redundant ). Usually I cave. Which makes me wonder: if I really cared about losing weight, I wouldn't cave. But, I really do want to lose weight!! Isn't there some way to like, balance being act...

Another Movie Idea

Okay, kinda worked out another idea based on Tamar and Amnon. It certainly wouldn't be PG, but i'd try to keep it as clean as possible, what with the story line. Tamar: Daughter of Absalom, son of King David. She is a young beautiful teen who is named for her Aunt Tamar, a quiet, desolate figure who isolates herself from the rest of the family. Tamar's upcoming marriage serves as a catalyst to draw out the story of her aunts sorid past, and the truth about her father. (Aunt) Tamar: a young beautiful princess living in her father's house. From a distance she has seen her handsome half-brother Amnon, but living as a virgin in her father's house prevents her from seeing him. When the King commands her to take care of Amnon in his illness, she eagerly goes, only to find that Amnon had faked his illness. When she refuses Amnon's demands to sleep with him, he overpowers her and takes what he wants anyways. Afterwards, he throws her out in disgust, despite her pleas, ...